Pic

Pic

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

new dining room light

We have a million projects going on right now and we are slowly finishing them one by one, not to mention a pretty big remodel with adding a master bath as well. It's been complete chaos for the past few months, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel:) With the new remodel I had to switch the location of the dining room. In the new space I didn't like my chandelier so I was out on a new mission to find a new light. The problem was everything I liked was hundreds and hundreds of dollars, which is not within our budget right now. I wanted a statement piece and something a little outside the box. Basically I came to the conclusion that it wasn't feasible to buy what I wanted so we would just have to make it ourselves. So I came up with a design that I liked and my husband built it (that's how we roll;)) I wanted something that had rustic and farmhouse elements because that's what I love. This is what we came up with.









We used a piece of old barnwood we had laying around the house as the base. I wanted the lights to have a chicken wire feel. I had thought about using actual chicken wire and molding it in the shape I wanted (a lot of hard work) and then I came across these waste baskets at the dollar store. They were white when I bought them so I spray painted them with oil rubbed bronze to give them the vintage look. They came out great! They are comparable to the chicken wire look I was going for and the best part is I have a whole $3 invested. We then bought the light sockets and chain at lowes. From there my husband did all the wiring and then built a small raised box on top of the barnwood to hide all the ugly wires. We then stained it all the same color to match. I love how it turned out and is exactly what I envisioned! Hope you all like it too!
Within the next few weeks we will be finishing up the master bath so I will be posting some pics and also of some of the other projects we are working on! Hope everyone has a Happy Tuesday!!


2 comments: