Pic

Pic

Monday, February 24, 2014

DIY moss balls

How was everyone's weekend? I thought today I would share my DIY weekend project. For a while now I have been wanting moss balls for decorating but everywhere I have seen them they are $10+ a ball so after buying 4 you would have $40 invested in moss balls. I always thought that was a little crazy so I've never went through with it. Well this past week my husband picked me up an adorable shabby coffee table at an estate sale. As I was pondering what I wanted to put on top of it I came back to the moss balls. I was determined now, so on Friday I went to Joanns and found the solution. They had a nice selection of the bags of moss and had the perfect color that I wanted (I like the deeper green color.) I grabbed the last 2 bags and then bought a package of the styrofoam balls that were on sale for 40% off. I used my 40% off coupon for the moss then they also had a 15% off coupon off your entire purchase. Long story short I got the materials to make 8 moss balls for a little over $10. I was so excited...I love that store!



      This is a picture of the bag of moss I purchased.


This is after I hot glued moss on the styrofoam ball. I was pleased with the outcome.




This is a picture of the top of the coffee table. All of my moss balls are in a glass atrium type piece that I scored at TJ Maxx on clearance for $10. I loved the nautical type look of the knotted rope on top and the wooden bottom. I found this cute wooden basket with leather handles at Target. It was a raw wood color so I stained it a little darker to match all my other wood tones in the house and it gave it a more aged look I think too. Then I had 2 old vintage books I took from my collection and added them to the vignette as well because they were the perfect size and filled up the space nicely.





This is all of it together. This is the new (old) coffee table. I love the shade of green it is. 





I added the stained crates underneath because they were a perfect fit and added extra storage and I'm all about extra storage. I store blankets, a pillow and magazines underneath right now.



I didn't have a coffee table before so I'm so happy now we have a place to put drinks and feet and anything else we want. My son has already used it for a racetrack for his matchbox cars so it seems the kids like it as well:) It's a beautiful day today so I think we will spend much of it outside. Hope everyone has a good week!





3 comments:

  1. Great coffee table!! And your moss balls look better than the ones you can buy. Love your idea!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your coffee table with the crates under it...and your moss balls look great in the glass cloche!!
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I have seen moss balls! They actually look great :) and I love the colour of the tray and the crates are awesome. I need a coffee table, they are so handy and practical x

    ReplyDelete