Pic

Pic

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

kids study nook

This is a project I've been slowly working on for a while and I have finally just about finished it. It took a little longer because of planking the wall and building the floating shelves and desk. I collected items for months that I wanted to style the shelves with. I wanted to make it all cohesive with the theme of studying and learning and this is what I ended up with...





I have numbered pots, an old tin lunch box, a flash card I made to look vintage, metal tool box, books, vintage scale and some wooden squares from Michael's that I painted with chalkboard paint then wrote the word "study." The desk is just a large piece of wood I stained and is held up by old corbels that came from an early 1900s house. On the side wall I made eye charts with my children's names. I made them on the computer one late night then framed them not sure how they would turn out, but I really like them. 




The red chair was an afterthought. I had their chair downstairs and it was solid wood from pier 1. I stained it originally and it turned out good but it was a little too much wood going on for me in this area. The back door is right across from this nook and it is painted red. So I took the leftover paint I had from the door and did almost a whitewash (I guess it would be a redwash then?) to the chair so you can still see the wood grain and some variation in the darker wood spots. It added just enough of a pop of color.


I was happy that with all the remodeling we were able to use every inch of space and try to make it useable. I had always wanted a study nook type of space for the kids to color and draw and one day be able to do homework at:)
I will do more detailed tutorials on the planking and floating shelves another time.

Hope everyone is having a good week so far! Thanks for stopping by!


Savvy Southern Style

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I love how you have put everything together and the eye charts are genius. It is absolutely lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea! I adore how you have it styled too! Makes me wish I had something to study for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the study nook you made for your kids...but I think it would be a great place to blog on your computer too.
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete